Monday, June 4, 2018

Getting Play Dates: SAHM Life

So, as you all know, I'm a stay at home momma, and I've just come to a realization: I have to talk to other moms in order to get my daughter play dates. Ok, duh right? But its more than that. Imani is such a social butterfly. She hasn't met a child that she doesn't immediately want to "play" with (or hug a lot LOL). The issue is that awkward moment when a class has ended, and your kid has hit it off with another kid, and you're wondering if the other mom would be into a play date. Here's what I have come to learn and do.
No one wants to be a creeper, but both usually want a play date. So, what I have forced myself to do is, ask those probing questions that kinda make you look like a creeper, but shows the other mom that you're trying to open a dialogue.

Like today, before the Musical Mondays in June: at the Euclid Public Library started, another mom and I were chatting and she said the reason she brought her, also 16-month-old daughter, was to socialize with other kiddos. (Like me!)

So, after the program was over, we both kinda hung back and had a chat. I asked if she was coming to the next Monday, she said yes, so I came back with a "Hey, should we let them play together afterward?" She was totally on board, so it was a go.

I'm sure that some of you extroverts are rolling your eyes and saying, yeah yeah so what, but for an introvert, that's a pretty big ask.


I guess the point of this post is to say, if you are kind of an introvert or a person who is slow to warm up to people, it's kind of necessary to move past that in order for your kiddo to get the socialization he or she needs. Especially us stay at home moms (and dads). But know that you are not alone in your awkwardness! LOL.

Well, that's all for now, Crafters!

Side note, Imani had a blast at the Musical Monday. She loves to dance, so I knew it would be a hit, but she really interacted with the other children a lot. Mimicking the bigger kids, and watching the tots her age.

No comments:

Post a Comment